The term bombshell is a forerunner to the term “sex symbol” and originally used to describe popular female sex icons. Modern usage refers to a bombshell as an extremely sexually attractive woman. The Online Etymology Dictionary by Douglas Harper attests the usage of the term in this general meaning since 1942.
A bomb is any of a range of explosive weapons that only rely on the exothermic reaction of an explosive material to provide an extremely sudden and violent release of energy (an explosive device).
A shell is a payload-carrying projectile which, as opposed to shot, contains an explosive or other filling.
No wonder one would combine the words bomb and shell to get an explosive sensual, woman. If the Closet Case Files Bombshell bathing suit were a woman, it would without hesitation, be an explosive, sensual woman. Having won second prize in the Nettie Sew-a-long, one of the prizes was the swimsuit pattern. This past weekend seemed to be a perfect opportunity to sit down and make my first bathing suit, with the hopes that I would finish it in time to sun bathe. Having time on friday, a trip to Pacific Trimmings and Spandex House seemed like a must. Overwhelmed with the choices of lycra at this place should have been the omen that this wasn’t going to go well. Determined as usual, I spent a good 30 minutes roaming the square footage of Spandex House, until I channeled my bombshell spirit animal, Sophia Loren. She led me to a cherry print on black lycra. Picking the lining was a bit tricky, because I alway forego lining on everything (even though I shouldn’t). So I grabbed what I thought would worked and left.
With my best friend yapping about apartments and decorating, I took to assembling the PDF pattern, which took a little longer than expected because of course we started drinking champagne. I was able to finish it off before going to bed and then opted to finish everything off on saturday. View C, which is just the bottom, seemed to appeal to me so I went with that. Cutting lining is a bitch and my rotary blade got fucked up a while ago. Attaching lining to lycra is a bitch. My serger and sewing machine were not having it. Usually, things like these start giving me panic attacks and urges to cry, but I fought through it and made it werk.
After cursing out my serger and what seemed an unlimited amount of sighing, some progress was made. I kinda shortcutted the ruching process by pinning the lining to the shell and adjusting the ruching accordingly so I could get an accurate fit.
The instructions of course are very detailed and helpful. I thought I was going to fuck up adding the front part. Tim Gunn made sure that didn’t happen. Now let’s talk about rubber elastic. IT IS THE DEVIL. It’s pure evil and my machine wanted to make my life a living nightmare by not wanting to zig-zag it properly. Tension was tightened and loosened, zig zag settings were changed, but still this nonsense was giving me nothing but skipped stitch realness.
Turning to the internet, some folks wrote how a walking foot remedied the skipped stitches, and so I changed my pressure foot to walking foot. While it did help, there were still some skipped stitches in there. And thank god the foot was changed, my sewing machine almost revolted and slapped me after trying to sew all that sandwiched fabric.
For the top, the same halter pattern pieces were used and a strip was added to support the halter. Although I’m not entirely sure I think it works. After having it all done, I’m not too thrilled about it being a 2 piece. Since the bottoms go way past my belly button, I’m thinking of seam ripping the halter and just adding it to that.
Of course, my landlord was in the backyard so I couldn’t go for the outdoor photoshoot. It took me longer than I anticipated to finish this, but after I was done a pat on the back was in order and Tim Gunn was proud.