I love fashion, I always have. I played dress up as a child, spent hours trying out perfect outfits and spending many afternoons binge shopping. Living in NYC where closet space is so limited, more often than not I have found myself throwing things out but more importantly with clothes that still had tags on. Loving fashion so much, had inspired me to take up sewing which I honestly say is one of the best hobbies I’ve taken up so far. Taking classes at FIT and the Sewing studio for a while, I can say that I fall into the intermediate level of sewing. I have dreams of sewing up my wardrobe, buying fabrics and patterns that only end up in my sewing bin and keep getting pushed aside because it’s easier to buy the shirt than make it yourself. I blame that on my pathological laziness.
So of course lying on the couch I get this idea, which could be brilliant or could be a giant disaster. For the next 365 days I will go without purchasing any clothing from retailers, including thrift stores and will dedicate the year to making every article of clothing that I wish to wear. This is of course because I love the challenge but most importantly want to perfect my skills as a seamstress and patternmaking.
My rules below
- At the start of this project, I will throw out anything that I have not worn in the last 6 months, has holes, or clearly looks like it exceeded the garment shelflive. NO EXCEPTIONS
- absolutely no buying of ready to wear articles of clothing. This does not include accepting gifts of any sorts.
I am allowed to buy shoes (in the same pace as I’ve always done before. Once a month or less) Key accessories items only when I cannot make them myself.
- - I will only buy required fabric for the project I will be doing at the time.
Basically I won’t fabric shop with my eyes which only leads to throwing the fabric in some dark corner to forget about
- - Focusing on only 2 garment at a time from start to finish
- I’m allowed to fix up/DIY anything in my closet that was purchased at a store before the start of this project.
A year without clothes begins today.