For a while I had been wanting to get on the Moss Skirt bandwagon. Glad I took the leap. After purchasing the pattern and taping it up together, I was really indecisive about choosing a size 2 or a size 4. I always go with the larger size and end up having to take in a lot more than expected, but I was afraid that if I went with the smaller size I would be left with a skirt I could not fit into. I mean of course best scenario is to make a muslin, but I am always too lazy for that.
I had this really velvety feeling jean fabric left over from one of my classes so I decided to try with that. I think I got it at joe’s fabrics in the L.E.S. for dirt cheap. (reminder, go buy more!). I matched the pocket lining to the scraps of seersucker I had left over.
(my basement apartment has horrible lighting)
When it was time to put the waistband on, I pinned the waistband it was about 1.5 inches shorter and I was pretty upset. I ditched the project for a bit and while watching TV I remembered something important. Just like the armseye and neckline you have to stretch the binding so that it fits! What I did afterwards was on each ends I overlapped the 0.5 inches she mentioned and pinned on each end. then I gently stretched the waistband around until it was comfortable enough to sew without any puckers. It worked!
However, I was so tired I didn’t realized that instead of pinning to the outside, I had done the opposite. There was no way in hell that I was going to unstitch it and redo it, so I opted for a quick fix. I added interfacing to the other band and and proceeded to attach it to the other waistband, and then folded under and topstitched the front. So basically I did the exact reverse of the instructions. Luckily it’s dark blue and it’s really unnoticeable.
Confession.. up until today I had never sewed a buttonhole. I always thought my machine was a 4 step. Yesterday while looking at the specs and tutorials, I realized my machine was a one step one! I inserted the button to the foot, changed the stitch setting to one of the buttonhole ones and then let it work it’s magic. So freakin’ easy! So today I walked away learning that buttonholes are easier than I thought and finally understanding front fly zippers. sigh